Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stocking Island, Exuma

We've been at Stocking Island now since January 5th.  We had thought this would be a 2 day stay kind of place, but we seem to have become quite comfortable here. It helps that there are about 10 (out of the 200) boats here with kids aboard. Most are 10-14 range, so T and E are having a great time. Our schedule has become, school all morning, then at 12:30, the VHF lights up with kids making plans for the afternoon. We usually drop the kids at a beach or boat, and they play all afternoon. We haven't heard any requests for Nintendos, Computers, Movies, since we've been here.

Across the channel from where we are is Georgetown. Its about a mile dingy ride, and if its fairly calm out, only takes about 10 minutes. Georgetown has all the amenities needed by cruisers, so is very popular. Its a tiny settlement though, much smaller than I imagined.  I went with some ladies yesterday to a restaurant in Georgetown for lunch. It was called the Driftwood Cafe, and was fantastic. It was great to have some time with other women to talk about homeschooling, and other issues we share in common. Nearly everyone is doing the Calvert method of schooling, and from what I hear, would have been an easier choice for me. It seems to be very structured, and details the assignments daily. I think what we are doing is good though, as T and E will be ready for re-entry in the school system next year. Only one of the boats we've been with here are possibly returning to land next year.  Most are out for several years.

On the first day we were here, I let slip that I was a violin player. Several days later, I found myself at 'Beach Church' leading a trio of violins in 'Amazing Grace'! We played alone, and then with the choir. It was fun, definately nothing I would have predicted I'd be doing though! We were asked to play again this Sunday, but I'm not sure yet if we will. The other members of the trio were my superstar practice partner, Eliza, and our new friend, Ayla, a 15 year old, who has been cruising with her parents for the past 3 years, but learned the Suzuki method until they left their home town.  Eliza and Ayla had a great time playing Suzuki songs together.


3 comments:

MPG said...

Oh it looks so beautiful- we can't wait to get there! It will be such fun! Get those rum punches ready!
We loved the picture of the Beach Church and the charming violinists! What a great experience. NExt time Tyler must join in perhaps "Ode to Joy"?

It sounds fun on Stocking Island- also the restaurant in G'town- perhaps we'll try it too!
Love you a mountain-
LMPGxxxx

Anonymous said...

What fun. It sure is a beautiful spot with a lot to do. Love following you. It brings back fond memories. Cambia crew

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sky. Looks amazing playing the violins in shorts on a beach! Glad to hear the kids have found some kindred spirits for a while. I bet the cousins arer all looking forward to spending time together. LAAx ps don't know why nut I don't have a link for the swimming pigs although I looked at them on YouTube as lots of folk have filmed them. Hilarious eh?