Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cell Phone Adventures

So yesterday, Lex managed to Jailbreak and Unlock one of my old iPhones. It took a good chunk of day. I then went to the local market, bought a SIM card in one store and then was told to go to the Greek restaurant next door. "They sell the minutes, mon". Off to the restaurant I go. Buy a card for ten dollars. Back to the marina. Put the card in the phone, call BTC (Bahamas Telephone Co) and ask how to add the minutes. The automated system kept saying there was a problem and I need to call Cust Svc. Customer Service lady says, "you got the wrong card, you need to go into a Store.". "Ok, I'm in Lucaya. Where is the nearest store?". "No idea, mon. I live in Nassau." I loved that one.

Lex and I asked around at Happy hour last night and were told that BTC has an office right up the street. We all walked there after school. Two and a half klicks later we get to BTC. A lady there said, "ain' nobody here that can do that fo ya.". "oh, will they be here later?". Yeah, maybe." "Ok, I'll come back after I go to the grocery store."

Grocery shopping...

Back to BTC. Very nice woman said, "oh, you just need to pay for minutes with the woman over there." This woman was there all along. Pretty funny stuff. The old John would have been pretty worked up. Island Time John manages a chuckle...

So we have a phone number that won't cost us anything for incoming calls from the States. That said, my pal Sam has tested it with us the calls keep dropping after a minute or two. It may be that we are in a weak service area. Can't tell yet. It may be that we have cheaped out and jail broken an old cellphone and should buy one for 50 bucks. We'll figure it out. In the meantime, you are free to ring us at 1-242-443-8409. Off to the Berry Islands at 0630 tomorrow. Don't think we'll have wifi until Chub Cay. May be a couple of days.

Cheers and our thoughts are with Auntie Sonia.


 A pretty flower on the way to the market today.

Waiting for the bus back to the marina.



No comments: