Monday, December 12, 2011

Passagess Interruptus....

So, we're back at the dock... We ran out about 2 miles and at the 700' line we were seeing tightly packed 6-10'. After the fourth or fifth time blue water was on the cabin top, I found a lull and did a 180. Wind was light at 14-16knts but the seas were too tight for our length and it would have been a very long 10 or 12 hours. Nancy Loo, a Halberg Rassy 43 we left with, decided to push on South. We wished them luck and will likely see them down the road. They need to be in Nassua by a certain date and wanted to push through. 12000 more pounds and 7 more feet make a difference.

We'll stand down and keep varnishing...May be Friday before we have an agreeable sea state.

On a funny note, I took the kids out to a little private beach in the dinghy yesterday. As we approached the beach, we all jumped out in a foot or so of water to guide the dinghy up on shore. I was starboard and kids port. On the port bow, I saw a pretty big stingray partially buried in the sand. Before I could say anything to the kids, he lifted and swam off. You should have heard the shrieks and seen the Jesus imitations! Pretty funny stuff.

2 comments:

MPG said...

Sounds like a wise move- could have been an exhausting and uncomfortable ride for all.

Enjoy the time in Grand Bahama - doesn't seem too bad a spot to be stuck!
LMPG

Anonymous said...

Glad no one stood on the ray like I did when about 5 in S Africa. The story was that Bampi came rushing into the sea to pick me up and he stood on it! I don't recall it really so guess it can't have been too horrendous or maybe I blocked it out! LAAxx